Conditions in which Foreign Citizens Can Transit Through Romania and Travel to Romania without a VISA
Third country nationals subject to visa requirements under Regulation (EC) No. 539/2001, may transit Romania within a period not exceeding 5 days and have the right to stay in Romania for a period not exceeding 90 days in any period of 180 days without having obtained a Romanian visa in advance, if:
- they are holders of one of the following documents issued by the Member States of the European Union applying the Schengen acquis in full (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands , Poland, Portugal, Spain, Slovenia, Slovakia, Sweden, Hungary as well as Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway):
- a uniform visa, as defined in Article 2 (3) of the Visa Code, valid for two entries or multiple entries;
- a long-stay visa, referred to in Article 18 of the Convention implementing the Schengen Agreement;
- a residence permit as defined in Article 2 (15) of Regulation (EC) 562/2006;
- has a national short stay visa, a long-stay national visa or a valid residence permit issued by Bulgaria, Cyprus and Croatia;
Conditions for Exemption from Obligation to Obtain the Romanian Visa:
- The validity of the mentioned documents must cover the duration of the transit or stay in Romania.
- The citizens concerned are exempted from the visa requirement, but they still have to fulfill the entry conditions set out in Article 5 (1) of Regulation 562/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 March 2006 - Schengen Borders Code (valid document border crossing, supporting documents of the purpose and conditions of the trip, proof that they have sufficient means of subsistence).
- In order to equate a uniform visa, a national visa or a residence permit with the Romanian transit visa, it is necessary that the transit of Romania's territory should fit in a natural way to the country which issued the visa or to return to the country of nationality, or the country of domicile.
- The holders of a one-way visa, used up with respect to the right of residence, will be allowed to transit only during the visa's validity period.